Saturday, January 25, 2014

On your mark, Get set...

OK,  All the test are complete.  I've met all the doctor and nurses.  Monday things begin.

I met Dr. Grossman and his nurses.  Both of his nurses knew me.  One was a nurse from the old Holy Cross Hospital, and the other said I played at her wedding.  Really?  I don't remember doing that.  I think our band played and I may have been out of town for that gig. 

Dr. Grossman is a concerned, kind and empathetic man.  He said he was sorry that I had this cancer.  He then went over all the tests that I had and stated that a lot of doctors have been reviewing my case to get things right.  He said, after careful review, I had a stage III throat cancer.  Woo, hold it.  I thought I had a stage II. (Its all about stages at this point).  He went over his reasons and talked about sitting down with several radiologist to go over all the scans in order to get this right.  Bummer, OK.  It is what it is.  He also said that my tumor was positive for the Epstien Barr Virus, EBV.  Probably the cause of my tumor.  They will follow my EBV titers over time to see if they are falling during my treatment. Being stage III still has a good prognosis it just needs more intensive treatment.

We then talked about the treatment.  Because of the stage III diagnosis I would need more Chemo treatments.  I will get 6 weekly treatments of Cisplatin starting this Monday.  And then, because of my stage, I will be the recipient of another 3 treatment (if I can stand it).  Well, if I need it I guess I can stand it, hey?  The side effects are few but may be persistent.  Hearing, peripheral numbness and tingling in the hands and feet, and, of course, nausea were the side effects.  They are going to keep an eye on these during the treatment.

Oh, the hair thing is plus or minus.  Maybe it will go, maybe it will stay.  I will keep you informed on that front.  The Chemo will be every Monday.  It takes about 5 hours to complete.  They have a place called the infusion center where all the chemo takes place.  More on that when I get to experience it. 

Things feel different now,  I have a start date.  I have a schedule.  I can't stop it, no matter how bad I want to.  I now have a little bit of fear and trepidation.  I am going to have to meditate on this one.  I need a little bit more determination as I start this journey.  I feel like I am being pushed off a cliff with a rope on.  The rope is just shorter than the length of the fall.  Hopefully, the rope will stop me right before I hit the ground.  Then, if I survive the fall, they will begin pulling me back up to the top of the cliff.  Recovery.  I was melancholy.  I came home and slept for a few hours.  That's how I cope with things sometimes; I just sleep.

I am grateful for all the people caring for me.  I am grateful for the technology that we have to treat this thing.  I am grateful for the proximity to the Huntsman Cancer Institute.  I am grateful for my community of support. (Some people come down here alone for their treatment. They rent an apartment for a few months and tough this out alone)  I am grateful for Jane. I am grateful for my health.  I am grateful for my spirit. and I am grateful for life.

I feel better now.  Thank you for letting me vent. 

26 comments:

  1. namaste...just looked up the meaning...what a beautiful word..."I bow to the divine in you", my friend! love from the sigüenza family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there Steve.
    Sending power and love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, what a journey. Know that the whole crew at Shriners is thinking of you non-stop. We miss you and love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of and praying for you every day! :) Robin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love & prayers coming your way from down south, Fancy & Jason

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending positive vibes your way Steve! Be strong and remember the outcome will be a success.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your story. I admire your courage and that you are facing this head on. "We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up or fight like hell." -Lance Armstrong. Sending even more strength your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending you love from San Diego. Love your blog-your honesty, gratitude and zest for life! - Suzanne and Jared (Heather's friends - we met at her wedding and have heard so many stories of love and admiration about you from her)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steve, My wife Suzanne and I are sending you many positive thoughts and vibes from San Diego! -Jared

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending you lots of high fives and smiles and wishes of health and support from Athens GA! Love from Janet, who is a friend of Heather's from... drum roll... jury duty! Just goes to show you never know where you will meet the friends who stick!! You've got people coast to coast pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a friend of Heather's from her Athens, GA days and I really admire the way you are able to stay grateful. You have many people who love you and people like me who you've never even met rooting and praying for you. Cancer sucks, but you have the right attitude to kick it's ass. Good luck and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending you heaps of positive thoughts from Mexico City - Love Anna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Steve, I am a friend of Heather. My thoughts are with you in this moment. I remember when my Dad was faced with chemo and the side effects were mood swings and hot flashes. His comment was "Well, I don't like being cold so the hot flashes will feel good and nobody will probably notice the mood swings 'cause I have them already." You are fortunate to have a circle of loving support because regardless of our health and fortune that is what is most important. I also have a close friend who is now a Cancer survivor and he has showed me how to have courage, strength and flexibility through difficult times. Steve, you are an inspiration to Heather. You are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steven, Thank you for the honor of experiencing strength that has the ability to endure all things. I am looking forwad to you sharing and even greater strength on the other side of your healing and divine restoration. Peace and Love to you and your familym Bridgett (friend of Heather's)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Steeeevo! I am cancer survivor and I have walked your path. Make it fun my friend. Find ways to outsmart that stupid beast. You have to get into warrior mode and kick some ass. Make the first strike! Get a mohawk before your hair falls out. Keep on keeping on and you will absolutely conquer it. As important as treatment itself is, the most important factor is attitude. I'm sending you fighting juju and lots of healing energy. Winning baby! -Carrie Ann (Heathers Midwife and Cancer slayer extraordinaire!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Steve-

    I am extremely impressed by you, your strength, and your ability to stay as positive as possible through this process. You are in my thoughts and prayers! Keep your head up, you have a lot of people behind you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Steve. It's Jami Huntington, used to be Sorensen. It's been years since you've seen me, but Sandy Joder told me about your diagnosis and your blog. I can't imagine everything you and your family are feeling, but your blog is very touching and inspiring. I just want you to know after all the good work you've done for so many kids and families there's a lot of good karma out there with your name on it. You'll be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Steve - Another friend from Athens. Your daughter has been an important part of my life for over 20 years now. As such, I feel like I know you from the stories I've heard. Your blog is inspiring. We are all pulling from you in Athens. xoxo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Steve, I am a friend of Heather's from high school. Your blog is inspiring, and now I know where Heather gets her positive outlook on life! My mom is a cancer survivor and she always appreciated hearing positive stories as she was on her cancer journey. Well, she kicked cancer's ass, and you can too! "Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference." Winston Churchill- Sending prayers from San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Steve - no trepidation my brother, "this too shall pass". Mary, Jen and I are thinking about you and praying for your speedy recovery. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Steve - we are friends of Heather's from Athens and have long admired her vitality, brilliance and caring spirit. Reading your blog has allowed us to see something of where this comes from. Thank you for sharing your story. We are with you! Krista and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thinking about you all day today. Don't know that I could carry much of your load but I would sure try if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just found out this week.
    Thinking of you and will check your blog regularly.

    Dr. Harp

    ReplyDelete
  25. Positive vibes your way Steve. Like others have previously stated, attitude is everything, stay strong. Peace & Love

    ReplyDelete