Thursday, January 23, 2014

Last Day Work

Today was my last official day at work for awhile.  I did clinic with Mike Pond, Wade, Mary, Bridget and Angela.  It wasn't super busy but by 3 PM I was feeling pretty tired.  Went home to take a short nap.  I have a feeling I will be pretty sick of naps in a few weeks.  Or I will be hooked and need a nap daily for the rest of my life.  Ha.

My kids are the best.  They came together and got Jane a massage at a spa.  They were thinking that she was going on this journey as well, and the extra work (caring for me, not easy)  and her worry, although you would never know it, was possibly taking its toll.  So this weekend she will have a spa treatment including, but not limited to, relaxation, massage and good oils.  She was so excited.  It is better to give than receive.  Heather, Katie, Tony, Rachel and Joey have made their Mom's day, week, and life.
She loves you all so much you will never ever know. (Jane speaking - Steve is absolutely right. We have the most wonderful kids - that includes you, Rachel.)

Meet with the Chemo Doctor tomorrow.  A few more tests and a few answers should be forthcoming.
I'll give an update this weekend into how toxic the Chemo will be.  Biggest question everyone is wondering:  What do I look like bald?  I have only been shaved once.  On a river trip down the Yampa river in Colorado and Utah.  One of the last undamned rivers in the states.   Let me tell you what Jane said, "not a pretty sight, Steve, not a pretty sight."  Cheers

PS: Thanks for all the great comments and everybody's support through these times.  You have all been wonderful and I hope you know who you are.  If you have read this blog, given me a call or sent a kind thought my way, then, yes, that is you. 

9 comments:

  1. The doctor told me being as empathetic as he could afraid it would devastate me, "The chemo will make your hair fall out" I looked at him and said, "You just cut my leg off, you think I'm worried about my hair?" Hang in there buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, Mike just told me what's going on. Know that you and Jane are in our hearts and prayers every day! We love you guys. It took Mike so long to tell me because he just could talk about it--he gets all choked up. He looks up to you in a way that he reserves for only a few people in his life. Give Jane a hug for me. Love you-Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will always love you - with hair or without. You're an inspiration and your blog is fab - reminding us to be thankful for all the good things in our lives and patient with the tough times. We're with you all the way. Just wish we were closer to give some practical support to you and Jane. Much love to you both. Jane and Ian xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Steve. You looked great on the Yampa. Looking forward to seeing your new look!

    Loving the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve,
    Happy birthday. You are only 1.5 years older than me but you are my big brother since I look up to you so much, except height. Please remember that you will not just be with us in spirit in Ecuador, but your spirit is already down there from all of your other trips and the good you have left there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to get onto the site and wish you well for the hair loss. As Sonia says, what's the big deal, hair is dead. (That's her excuse for not bathing). Keep your spirits up, we are all here with you! love,eileen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Steve,
    Just heard from Beth - sorry about what you are going through man. I had the wonderful experience of catching the bad news, wit and insight from your blog. You are a talented writer, among your many other talents. I am sure you will look like a white LL Cool J. Sending good thoughts your way. Andy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to see you and Jane today. When you are at infusion, I hope I can pop in and say hello. I'm there all the time, so please let me know if there's anything you need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr. Santora,
    I was bragging to a friend today what a great orthopedic surgeon we have for Camryn and she let me in on what has been going on. We were in clinic for a follow-up on your last day and received one of your awesome hugs. I want you to know what a difference you have made in my sweet girls life. She has done so well from her surgeries, Mike actually called her a star :-), and I credit you for that. Know we are thinking of you and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete