Monday, May 12, 2014

What, me worry?

     Alfred E. Neuman, circa 1955, "What, me worry?"   He maybe the first guru of the modern age.  After much study and research I have found that the first step to becoming enlightened is to let go of worrying.  One cannot live in the moment if one is worrying about the future.  And worry provides no new action that may affect the outcome.  It is good to plan, think of all the options, formulate a plan and go with it.  Yes, you can revisit your decision, you can change your plan, but it doesn't help to worry about the future or what is going to happen until it happens and then you can start the process over, or accept the results.  Worrying is different then planning.  It is when the mind won't let go of the issue.  It feels a lot like a washing machine, tumbling the issue over and over.  Not analyzing the plan but just thinking over and over about the worry lines.
     June 24th I have a PET scan scheduled which will show if I have any cancer left in my throat or body.   It would be a good first sign if all is clear.   So, I figure, I can worry about it, OR I can live each day until then.  So that's what I am trying to do.  My Oncologist mentioned that some people get scanitis.  They worry so much about their upcoming scan that they get neurotic, or even psychotic, over the actual test much less the results.  There is nothing one can do to affect the outcome other than have a positive attitude.  Worrying is a drag on a good and healthy life.  One must leave the worry alone.  That's why it's a first step to enlightenment.  You can't have worry and live well in the moment. 
     Next step is patience, at least for me.  I have to have patience that I will get stronger than a 90 year old.  My training seems to have its own schedule.  One of my favorite people (who lives in Phoenix)  reminded me to relax, life is more than activity.  Namaste!

4 comments:

  1. Indeed my 92 year old Alzheimers nearly blind mother who was so very smart and read so much and learned computer programming in the '70s to teach to her grade school kids, somehow remains in love with life. I hope that I will always feel able to live a rich life without doing anything in particular aside from being in our wonderful world. OK meantime I want to paddle my kayak as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed at how often I allow worry to promise--falsely--to give me control over often uncontrollable circumstances, when in reality it is likely doing more net harm than good. Great post, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dr Santora this is Andrew Smith, and I just wanted to thank you so much for tremendously blessing my life. You've basically been in my life since day one and without your work I don't think I would be the same person. Since my last surgery seven years ago I have been able to live a life without pain. You gave me the strength and courage to play sports and enjoy my life, this was a priceless gift and I just want to know that you are such a great hero and role model. I'm praying for you to get better and I've been enjoying your optimistic attitude through this trial. I hope I can meet with you one last time before I go on my mission. Thank you again for everything.
    Sincerely Andrew

    ReplyDelete