Thursday, May 8, 2014

Down then Up

     So, I took it pretty easy Monday and Tuesday after Joeys graduation weekend.  Hey, and guess what?  I felt really good yesterday.  I could feel the grip of fatigue loosen just a bit. It was the first time in almost 4 months that my body felt like my old self.  I am having trouble describing how I felt but let me say I was SO HAPPY that the feeling of being normal is still within reach.  I went straight to my calender and put a happy face over May 7th.  I was up most of the day,  I played some music, went for a walk and generally was more alert, interactive and comfortable.
     So what has this taught me?  Well for one thing, patience. Even though it may seem like it is going on forever, hang in there.  I am grateful for having experienced the lows of recovery.  I feel more empathy for those going through difficult times.  I feel more open to help and assist in any way possible.  I am grateful for the experience and to learn from it.  Although it hasn't been very fun or even funny.
      I have always worked with kids who have congenital or developmental problems.  Some of them are quite severe and are burdened with a lifetime of trials.  I have always been respectful and in awe of the way the kids and their families handle their disability.  When I do start to feel low it is best to remember their is always someone worse off and dealing with very difficult times.  Always look for the silver lining, the sun behind the clouds and be grateful for the things you do have.  The funny thing is that I have to actively think about that in order to incorporate it into my daily routine and thought process.  It is easy to take the "woe is me" attitude and that is what I fight sometimes. Always learning, always growing.  Have a great day out there. Be kind to others and remember everyone is dealing with struggles, Everyone.   Nameste

2 comments:

  1. Like you said, everyone has something, some more than others. So glad your clouds are starting to part! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes my so-called "severe" 58% scoliosis look pretty minor.

    ReplyDelete