Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Dulldrums of Recovery

I've moved into part two of the recovery phase. Apparently, phase two is like a holding phase.  Giving my body time to continue healing inside.  That includes needing a lot of sleep, that is for sure.  I've been exhausted.  Two days ago I was up doing some easy sorting, in the furnace room.  Well, it is day three and I think I am still recovering from that effort, or I'm just a wuss?  Hard to say.  This is where patience comes into play.  Taking enough time to recover.  Giving the cells of your body time to regroup, fight off inflammation, clean up damaged and/or destroyed cells, and allow a regenerative atmosphere to take place so hemostasis can take over and strength, endurance, and power can replace fatigue and a fractured infrastructure.  These are things that I am hoping for sooner than later.  But I can take them as they come.
     You must be on the look out.  A couple of days ago I was starting to get some more active throat symptoms returning.  Strange, I thought.  I have just finished a 2 week course of Diflucan for oral thrush.  Grabbed my head light and took a look inside the throat.  Bummer, one of my Tonsils was covered in that whitish covering of thrush.  Makes sense, same symptoms, just finished the meds.  Time to start another 2 week course to try and finish the yeast infection off this time.  This is an example of a lot of little setbacks you have to deal with, sometimes everyday.  Patience, my friend.  All will come to those who wait.  So I wait and wait.  Reminds me of when Ernest Shackelton, as he woke one morning,  address First mate McCarthney.  McCarthney had been up all night at the rudder, through a dreadful night heading back to South Georgia on the James Caird.  Shackelton asked, "How are you doing?" He replied, "Oh, it is a grand day, Skipper, a grand day."
     I have heard many times through my life, and I am sure you have too,  waiting is the worst.
 In almost any situation (waiting for surgery, waiting to give a talk, waiting for an interview) you just want to get it over with.  Well, this phase is similar.  I just want to get on with it; to the "I am definitely getting better" phase.  I guess I have to give it some more time.  Namaste.
 

1 comment: