Monday, March 3, 2014

Activity 1

     Athletic activity has always been part of my mantel.  Ever since I can remember,  Little League football and baseball were the first sports I took to.  Before that, I was running and chasing arrows. Ha.  I have been hooked on doing some kind of sport or activity ever since.  After 60 plus years of different sports,  I have realized that activity is one of the most necessary aspects of my life.  Now, that's just me. I am not saying everyone has this desire or should have this desire for constant activity. But whatever makes up the part of my brain that likes to run, twist, crawl, jump and spin, it is very strong.  Not unlike a golden retriever to a tennis ball. 
     After the drug-crazed years of the late 60's and a short stint in the military (where I skied on the AFRC Garmish ski patrol, and, yes it was an activity but I didn't take it too seriously) I returned home at age 22, determined to change my habits and some of my unproductive ways.  First thing I did when I pulled into my folks' garage was quit smoking.  Best thing I ever did.  I remember crumpling up a pack of Marlboro's and throwing them in the garbage.  Like everyone, I had tried to quit many, many times before, but this time felt different, and it was. 
     I was a thin, wiry kind of kid, with a predisposition towards gymnastics.  At 22, with the help of my mom, I applied to Utah State University in Logan Utah under the GI Bill.  I was accepted under probation (my first quarter at the UofU right out of high school did not go well).  I needed to maintain a "C" average to stay in.  Picking a major didn't seem difficult at first.  I liked the outdoors, I was active and Utah State had a great forestry program.  Forestry it was.  However, after a few biology classes and finding out what forest rangers made and how many people at that time wanted to be forest rangers, I began to have second thoughts.  After taking a friend to physical therapy to rehabilitate an injury I thought that would be a good profession.  Meeting with the counselor was not very encouraging.  "No one from Utah State has ever been accepted into the PT program at the University of Utah.  If you want to try go ahead. Take these classes and get straight A's." I did.
     I don't know what drew me to the USU gym, but I found myself there most afternoons in the men's gymnastic area, playing on the floor or the high bar.  I got to know a couple of regular attendees.  There were only a couple of us.  John Reid, who looked and dressed just like the lead in, "Here comes Bronson",  a 70's TV show about a cat and his motorcycle.  He always wore a beeny and solved people's problems.  I started calling John " Jacques" cause I couldn't remember his real name and he looked rather French with his beeny on.  He has always been Jacques to me.  The other cat was Fernando Oberdink,  the son of a rich Guatemalan, studying for his PhD in Psychology.  Smart, talented and strong in the gym.  He spent many many days and evenings teaching us, all the while  laughing and learning new tricks on the apparatus. This was the first sport I took rather seriously.  We never missed a session and we tried and tried until the blisters on our hands were ripped clean by the roughness of the high bar.
     This dedication to sport, school and friendship has held me in good stead through the rest of my life.  I think it was during this time that I learned and incorporated many of life's lessons on success and perseverance into my character.  Jacques and Fernando had a incredible affect on me as well.  Their friendship and role-modeling were indispensable for me during this time of transition that I was going through.
      Sports taught me dedication.  Sports taught me patience.  Sports taught me to believe in myself, and sports taught me that if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.  I don't know how long it took, but I was trying to learn a "giant" maneuver  on the high bar.  A very scary and difficult maneuver in those days. (I wish I could still do one.)  With the help of my gym mates, I eventually mastered the giant maneuver.  WOW, what a rush, and how many blisters ripping off my callouses did it take?  Many.
     Well long story short I was accepted into Physical Therapy school,  The first from Utah State.  Without Fernando and the access we enjoyed to the men's area of the gymnastic room at USU, my daily gymnastic workouts went by the wayside when I had to move to Salt Lake to continue my major.  Something always seems to take the place of something you have to leave behind.  But my memories of those special days in the gym, with my friends doing hard and difficult things, are some of the most special memories I have in my early twenties.  The gym was a safe place, a nurturing place and a place of physical and mental growth that I hold dear in my heart.   Namaste'

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Santora! Thoughts and prayers are being sent your way from Logan and Utah State. We were so sad to hear what you are going through but are grateful to see the strength you are facing it with. I have really enjoyed reading all of your thoughts, and absolutely nothing in your blog has surprised me until this. Gymnastics at USU? We'll just add that to your list of awesomeness. We owe you more than I think you recognize, understand, and give yourself credit for and are grateful for the miracle worker you have been in our life, and we are praying that you will continue to be!! From the first time we met you the day Shawnie was born, we knew we would follow you just about anywhere. Your friendship has come to mean so much to our family, and your humility makes us love you even more. You probably don't even remember the first week we stayed at Primary's when she was born and you offered your home for laundry and whatever else we needed. Who does that, really? :) We've known you were something special from the beginning and know that you are in our life for a very good reason.
    We've never been in your situation exactly, but you've helped us through the hardest times I've had in my life, experiences that I never expected. You were a solid rock for us, and I feel like we've leaned pretty heavily on you at times. The only thing I can say from experience is that no matter how hard it gets, and it sounds like it will be horribly hard, you will make it through this and be even stronger for it. Both physically and mentally and if you're luckier than me, even emotionally. haha. And maybe just a teeny bit grateful that you were able to learn those things that you wouldn't have learned any other way...You have it in you to beat this, I am positive. Tell your wife she is in our thoughts and prayers as well. Sometimes when we are loving someone through such a hard time, we forget to take care of ourselves, and it's awfully hard to be the tough one when you don't have it in you to be tough. It can be quite a painful thing when you feel like you would do anything for someone and yet can do almost nothing. She sounds just as amazing as you and I have no doubt that you will pull through this together.
    We will miss you like crazy while you're gone, but we know you will see this through and come out even higher than before because it's just who you are.
    Love and Hugs.
    Keith, Mel and Shawnie Christensen
    P.S. I've got Shawnie looking for some jokes to cheer you up. It's about time you learned some new ones, anyway... ;)

    ReplyDelete